Friday, August 16, 2013

I have picked up a new Hobby.  I will be down to sleeping only 1 hour in 24!!!!
Mike is getting ready to retire and for several years he has been asking me to get us a camper.
I told him he was 6' 4" and weighed ......  It would be like stuffing an elephant in a fiat.

This past spring he started taking me around to look at different used campers that he had found in places.  By early summer we had found a very nice used camper.  We have camped several times this summer and I really love the peaceful weekends on the lake.  He has one more year before he retires and I hope we can see most of the US before the money runs out!!!!

Well I have really got the bug!.  When he said he wanted to go camping I was dead set against it because my only two camping trips 40 years ago was enough for me.  Both trips turned into monsoons nearly washing us into the creek.  The last time we camped the boys were real small, it came an awful storm during the night, the squirrels ate all our food and the truck broke down in the walmart parking lot on the way home.  To make matters even worse there was a 110 degrees heat index. 

Two weeks ago I found this on craigslist.
 
 
 
She almost fell apart by the time we pulled her 30 miles home.  I think I have found out that she is a 1963 Utopia by Winnebago.  I am still researching the history of it but when I rescued her she had been terribly abused by deer hunters using her as a hunting cabin.  They have cut the a frame tongue off of her and added a straight tongue and her axle is broken. The water leaks over the past 50 years has damaged most of the wooden frame and all the edges of the flooring. 
 
I work on her one day a week and this is what she looks like today.
I am going to wrap her in brown shipping paper and then go inside and take a felt tip marker and draw me a blue print of the frame so I will know how to put her back together. 
 
I have found another old camper almost just like her that has been rear ended and the frame is damaged in the rear.  The interior is intact.  I have a grandson that is an expert welder so he is going to take the two frames and the axle and fix her right up. 
 
Wish me luck. This reminds me of working with my dad when we used to fix up old houses for the bank after they had been repossessed and the owners had in some cases tried to burn them down.  

No comments: